noun: security; plural noun: securities
- The state of being free from danger or threat.
- The safety of a state or organization against criminal activity such as terrorism, theft, or espionage.
- Procedures followed or measures taken to ensure the safety of a state or organization.
- The state of feeling safe, stable, and free from fear or anxiety.
On paper, security is defined as the above. It is a state of being, a list of procedures, or a sensation and feeling. In the right context, it can help stave off threats, thwart danger, and create a sense of calm. But what does security and the act of feeling secure actually mean to you?
Well, it really depends on who you are asking.
Security means many things to many different people and entities. From those using it to those providing it, the umbrella of security provides protection for a myriad of considerations. Those engaging with it as a service or livelihood view it through a lens that matters most to them. You must take each unique perspective into account when choosing the exact definition of security that applies.
Here are just a few pertinent points of view regarding security and why they matter:
If You Are a Venue, Bar, or Restaurant:
- In the hospitality industry, security is your backbone to business. It provides the skeleton that holds your business together. Without it, the heartbeat of your operation – your customers, team, and profits – are at risk. You can create the most hospitable environment. But if your guests don’t feel safe in your space, you may as well shutter your doors.
If You Are a Hospital or Medical Facility:
- You don’t typically think of security when you think of the medical field. But hospitals and medical facilities are critical to our communities. Security can sometimes be an afterthought, but it is one of the most important foundational elements in this industry. Everything from unexpected threats to irrational patients can interrupt the machine of medicine that needs to keep moving. A good security department will allow your team to focus on the business of keeping people healthy while they keep you safe.
If You Are a Live Music Facility:
- A strong security plan and safety team are more important than ever. As tragedies at music events like Astroworld or Route 91 have shown, live events can be unpredictable. The heightened emotions caused by alcohol and live music can be a breeding ground for either incredible memories or unmitigated disasters. Your security team needs to be masters of proactivity and de-escalation. You need a trained troupe that is ready and prepared for anything, including the unexpected.
If You Are an Event Planner:
- In the event world, security is a cornerstone to a successful event. Everything from ID checkpoints to crowd control helps build the framework of event safety. These types of programs can be infrequent or annual. But their continued operation depends on the success of those first experiences. The ad-hock nature of this type of experience foundationally needs security to be built into a successful event plan. Because you typically build the event from the ground up, having your guest’s safety in mind should be an automatic brick in your program foundation.
If You Are a Patron:
- Security is part of the reason why you live where you live, why you frequent the places you do, and why you feel free. Whether it’s going to your favorite bar or simply walking down the street, if you feel safe, you are inherently more comfortable. And you are more likely to return to the places that make you feel that way. The right venues (or avenues) will be the ones where you can immediately see and feel an atmosphere of safety.
If you are a high-profile executive or celebrity:
- The nature of your business adds an additional layer of heightened sensitivity. Public demand or corporate requirements contribute to the need for a dedicated security team for your protection.
If You’re a Security Professional:
- Security is your business. You chose this line of work because of your intuitive nature, your natural ability to defuse situations, and your commitment to keeping the peace. You believe that every environment’s safety can be enhanced with the right security team in place. And you recognize that you are one of those people.
Just browsing this list, one can see how significantly security contributes to the storyline of so many people’s lives. What part it plays depends on who is writing the script. But no matter how you define it, it remains a key theme in every story.
Understanding the objectives of who needs security is paramount to ensuring that the right safety service is provided. Recognizing the defining factors that are important to you is the first step.
Share your definition of security with us. Let us help write your chapter on safety.